Thursday, August 23, 2007

Percentage Who Agree/Disagree With My Pet Peeve

I thought you might be interested in knowing how many people agreed/disagreed with my pet peeve.

For those who didn’t read the interview (and go read it!), when asked if I have any pet peeves, my reply was: "I have a few, but my biggest one these days is when someone uses text message spelling, such as 'u' for 'you', in anything other than a text message. It just makes me cringe."

In order to enter my August contest, people had to tell me if this is also one of their pet peeves. They could either state simply 'I agree' or 'it doesn't bother me' or they could elaborate on their answer. For those who elaborated, thank you! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the issue.

61% stated that they also dislike it (although maybe not to the degree that I do). 39% stated that it doesn’t bother them at all.

So, I was pondering why this might bother some and not others. I think:
1) Maybe it’s an age issue. Maybe those who are younger find it more acceptable, because it’s pretty much always been the norm. Note: I’m not saying I’m old! But, I didn’t grow up in the age of text messaging either.
2) Maybe those who use text message abbreviations more often aren’t bothered by it, because it’s easier for them to read. Part of my frustration is that it takes me 5 minutes to decipher something that I could read in 1 minute if all the words were spelled properly.
3) Maybe I’m just anal :) It could have something to do with the fact that as a writer I have to spell correctly.

At any rate, I suppose I’d better learn to get used to it, because I don’t think this trend will disappear anytime in the near future.

No comments: