Friday, November 24, 2006

The Start of the Holiday Shopping Season

Today is the official start of the holiday retail season. If you were at the stores today--on Black Friday, one of the busiest shopping days of the year--I’m glad it was you and not me.

I’ll tell you a secret...I don’t like to shop. And naturally my husband loves that fact about me :) I don’t enjoy shopping at any time, but I absolutely hate shopping during the holiday season. The traffic, the parking, the crowds, the lines, it’s enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

Given that fact, you’d think that I’d be smart enough to get all my Christmas shopping done early. But do I? Of course not. Every year I plan on it, and a few years I’ve even managed to get a little of it done early, but I’m never completely finished until mid-December at least.

So far this year, I’ve bought absolutely nothing in the way of Christmas gifts. Not one single name has been marked off of my very long list. And I’m dreading the thought of entering those stores.

Of course, there’s always on-line shopping, but I really dislike paying shipping charges (they add up fast!). Still, it might be worth paying S&H to avoid the aggravation of heading out there in those crowds.

I’m going to go write out my Christmas cards, and I think I’ll even put on some Christmas music. Maybe it’ll help me get into the holiday spirit. I need all the spirit I can get before I start my shopping.

No comments: